« Home | Did You Know? » | Thoughts of the Day » | Something To Think About » | Cultivating Mother's Heart Pt 5 » | Thought of the Day #4 » | C. S. Lewis » | Exploring the Classics » | Cultivating Mother's Heart Pt 4 » | Life of Thankfulness » | Happy Thanksgiving! »

Cultivating Mother's Heart Pt 6


Oh, how I have enjoyed this past week. I have read more than I thought I would or had time for. It all has been enlightening, refreshing and full of truths that I need to grab hold of. Some may think that I am absolutely crazy for reading about 5 books at once, but you know it has been the best week I've had in a long time. I actually was able to truly understand why CM required such diversity in her students education. It allowed me to make connections that I wouldn't have normally made by reading only one or two books. Each book was different, yet they each held a piece of life's puzzle that I needed at this time.

Here is what I've learned so far, in brief that is:
"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" ~ is well written and most enchanting. I have found myself loving and disliking the characters and their actions. I am enjoying how it plays out and it is a quick read. I have a little more reading to do,then I will be finished. I have seen the new movie and in light of the amount of time directors have to really capture a book, I believe they did a fine job of trying to bring across the book to the silver screen. Of course, there are some dramatizations that you will not find in the book, but are necessary for one to really comprehend the meaning behind the words and for that I had mixed feelings ~ on one hand disappointed and on the other grateful for those who didn't have the imagination that I have or advantage of reading the book. Lewis has become one of my favorite authors.

"Mere Christianity" ~ this book is showing me alot about myself and my walk w/God. I am in no hurry to finish this gem. We are also reading this book for our Worldview studies this school year and I will continue to read though it slowly on my own and w/my dc. This is a must read for those who long to truly understand their walk w/Christ.

"The Soul of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" ~ this book has truly opened my eyes to the spiritual side of Lewis' book. I usually see things though my eyes of faith, but sometimes it gets cloudy or I just choose not to look. However, Veith made sure that I was looking, especially when I viewed the movie. He challenged me more than I dare to admit about who I am in Christ and my understanding of my authority, place in God's kingdom and the choices I make daily. This book will give you a bird's eye view of the story of Christ that Lewis was introducing his audience to and how to make the connections for yourself. I've finished Part 1 - The Story and will be working thru Part 2 - The Fantasy Wars. I have truly enjoyed Veith's style of writing, it is smooth, clear and refreshing. I encourage you to read it either alone or alongside Lewis' book.

"Ourselves Volume 4" ~ I am reading this book along w/a group, whom are farther along in the reading than I. However, in my attempt to catchup, I've been reading the pgs 81 - 125. These pages cover the study of "The House of Heart," which has been very interesting reading. I have posted earlier a particular quote that caught my attention and I have been pondering various quotes since. I am currently grasping and making them my own the interpretation on The Lords of the Heart Love and Love's Lords in Waiting. This reading is so rich and requires such attention, that I am truly happy to have discovered this at such a time as this. I look forward to continue to glean from this wonderful book and to read it again and again.

"Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La! ~ okay this was the fun book. I needed something to read that didn't require me to assess it, give my opinion or do anything, just read and enjoy. I spent time in a bath of bubbles, over coffee and delicious Godiva chocolates reading this incredible book. However, to my surprise, God had another plan. This didn't turn out to be just a truly pleasurable book, it has become another gem in my collection. God spoke to me again though one of Gunn's books at a need I had and I am so glad that I was willing to hear and receive. Its amazing how He does that even in a simple fictional book. Well, never underestimate the love and power of our heavenly Father when He wants to reach you and that was the main theme of this book. If you haven't done so already, I wholeheartedly encourage you to read the entire series. This book is #5 and has been a true blessing to me.

Okay, that is my update for my November reading. I will finish off the remainder of Veith & The Lion, et al today and tomorrow, then begin my December readings. I am looking forward to the next phrase of this wonderful learning journey that I have embarked on. Talk w/you all soon.

~ Be Blessed ~

About me

Webrings