« Home | ~ Wordless Wednesday ~ » | Upgraded ~ finally ;D » | ~ Wordless Wednesday ~ » | Here I Stand Knocking » | *Reader Fun* » | Attitude Check » | My Mother's Mantra » | Snow ~ yes lots of it too » | Snow at last! » | Song of the Day »

"In Other Words"


"Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind.
To cherish peace and goodwill,
to be plenteous in mercy,
is to have the real spirit of Christmas."
~ Calvin Coolidge ~
Former President of the United States

Very interesting quote, don't think I had really thought much about this before. I've always said "Jesus is the reason for the season." You know, Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays ~ which I must say at work (another post in itself). But when you stop to ponder what Coolidge is saying, it makes you wonder what really has happened. There is much to be said about what he wrote here, alot to comtemplate because he hits a strong point most of us are not willing to face. Lets take a full look at what he is saying.

Christmas is not a time or season, but a state of mind.

In our modern world, Christmas has rapidly developed into a time of year and a season. You hear people say its the christmas season or its christmas time again. They are all referring to the point after Thanksgiving. Well some, the retailers are pushing it after Halloween trying to promote sales and get people into the "holiday mood." However, if you are a Christian, then it really isn't a time or season, but a state of mind that lives in your heart. Christmas is about the birth of our savior, the gift of love from our Heavenly Father, and the message of hope, peace and goodwill to all. This leads us into the next part of his quote:

to cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy,
is to have the real spirit of Christmas.

Oh, what a wonderful thought, that as I walk in the fulness of the grace that the Lord was born for me to have, I am living the spirit of Christmas which is the very Spirit of the Lord himself. Remember He came that we might have life and life more abundantly, but it wasn't for us to keep to ourselves. We were to share it with those around us. We are to be the light in a very dark world declaring peace, goodwill and mercy to all. Leading them to the source of hope that was born to set them free. Remember what He said in Luke 4:18,19:

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me to preach
the gospel to the poor;
he has sent me to heal the brokenhearted,
to preach deliverance to the captives,
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty them that are bruised,
to preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

The real spirit of Christmas is about sharing the love, liberty, hope, and message of God, every minute of every day. Won't you join me in committing ourselves to do this.

Lets pray:

Lord, thank you for the reminder of what we are suppose to do as Christians. Thank you for your loving kindness and longsuffering as we sort out what Christmas really means and how to share that in our world. Thank you for equipping us, demonstrating for us and shining through us as we daily walk in the Spirit of the Lord. I commit my life to be a witness, a testimony and a vessel for your use to fulfill the great commandment to love the Lord with all my heart, mind and soul; and to love my neighbor ~ sister, mother, brother, husband, children and the world ~ as myself. May You be glorified by my actions, words and life. In Jesus name, Amen.


Labels: , , ,

About me

Webrings